Posted by Higgins O Reilly on July 10 2013 @ 20:46

When negotiations fail to resolve all issues, and the parties cannot agree on a solution, then the parties may have no alternative but to seek the assistance of the courts. Learn more about the Courts.

You can seek assistance from the courts for the following:

(A) Judicial Separation

Where the court has power to grant a decree of Judicial Separation on a number of grounds including adultery, unreasonable behaviour, desertion, existing separation or where a normal marital relationship has not existed for at least one year prior to the application. An applicant must prove their case to the court on the balance of probabilities. On granting a judicial separation the court must make proper provision for the spouses and any dependant children and can make a variety of orders in relation to custody of dependent children, the family home, maintenance and financial provision, among other matters. A decree of Judicial Separation can be sought in the Circuit Court or the High Court depending on the financial circumstances of the parties.

(B) Deed of Separation

A Deed of Separation, or a Separation Agreement as it is otherwise known, is in essence a contract entered into between a husband and wife, where they agree to live separate and apart and then deal with all other issues arising from their separation. The primary purpose of the Deed is to record what has been agreed between the spouses in relation to all matters such as the care of dependant children, if any, and all financial matters. A Deed of Separation can be entered into between spouses, even where they have already physically separated. In those circumstances, the Deed will formally recognise that the couple have separated and will then deal with all other agreed matters. A Deed of Separation is in effect an alternative to judicial separation proceedings but can only work if both husband and wife agree to its terms. Where a Deed of Separation is signed by both husband and wife, then they are both legally bound by its terms and are precluded from bringing judicial separation proceedings.

(C) Decree of Nullity

A Decree of Nullity is a court Order granting an annulment of a marriage. Marriages can only be annulled on very specific and limited grounds. Certain marriages are unlawful or “void” from the outset, for example if either person is already married and not lawfully divorced or where persons marry within a prohibited degree of relationship. Other marriages are lawful from the outset but are “voidable”, in other words they can be declared to be invalid by a court. There a number of grounds on which a marriage can be annulled on this basis, such as an inability to consummate the marriage or where a spouse lacked the capacity to form and sustain a normal and caring marital relationship. This incapacity which is relied upon  to have the marriage annulled must have existed at the time the marriage was entered into. A “voidable” civil marriage can only be annulled by a Decree of Nullity from a court. A church annulment has no legal effect on the validity of a civil marriage. The effect of the annulment of a marriage is that the parties are deemed never to have been married. As a consequence, the parties to the marriage lose all of the legal rights which they would have had as husband and wife. The rights of any children to the marriage are substantially unaffected by the annulment.

(D) Divorce

A divorce will only be granted if a couple have “lived apart” from each other for a period (or periods) amounting to four years out of the previous five, and there is no prospect of reconciliation between the parties. Proper financial provision must also be made for each spouse and the dependant children and the court has the power to make a variety of financial relief orders including Property Adjustment Orders, Periodical Payments Orders, Lump Sum Orders, Pension Adjustment Orders, and Financial Compensation Orders. When determining what constitutes proper provision, the court must have regard to all the circumstances of the case and in particular:

a) the income, earning capacity, property and other financial resources which each spouse has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future;

b) the financial needs, obligations and responsibilities which each has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future;

c) the standard of living enjoyed by the family before proceedings were instituted or before the separation occurred;

d) the ages of each spouse, the duration of the marriage and the length of time the couple lived together;

e) any physical or mental disability of the spouses;

f) the accommodation needs of each spouse;

g) the effect on the earning capacity of each spouse of the marital responsibility assumed by each while they lived together and the degree to which the future earning capacity of a spouse is impaired for having given up the opportunity of paid employment to look after the home or care for the family;

h) the conduct of each of the spouses, if such that the court considers it would be repugnant to justice to disregard it;

i) the contributions which each of the spouses has made or is likely in the foreseeable future to make to the welfare of the family including any contribution made by each to the income, earning capacity, property and financial resources of the other and any contribution by looking after the home or caring for the family;

j) the value to each of the spouses of any benefit which the spouse will forfeit;

k) the rights of any person other than the spouses but including a person to whom either spouse is remarried;

l) the court must also have regard to the terms of any Deed of Separation or Separation Agreement signed by the spouses.

Each case is decided on its facts. There is no automatic division of assets on a 50/50 basis. The division will depend on the particular facts of the case in question.

(E) Domestic Violence

A person who is either married or living with another and is subjected to domestic violence can apply to court for protection against their abusive spouse or partner. Applications solely in relation to domestic violence can be brought in the District Court. For married couples who are involved in judicial separation or divorce proceedings, it is possible to apply to the Circuit Court or the High Court in the context of those proceedings for court protection if a spouse is subjected to domestic violence by the other spouse. The court can grant protection, safety and barring Orders as appropriate. Those Orders are normally granted on an “interim” or temporary basis, while the judicial separation or divorce proceedings are ongoing. At the conclusion of the proceedings, the court would then decide if ongoing final orders are required.

(F) Maintenance

Similar to domestic violence situations, it is possible to apply to court solely for maintenance. Where judicial separation or divorce proceedings have been issued, either spouse can also seek maintenance in the context of those proceedings. Maintenance can be claimed for dependant children and by a spouse personally, if that spouse is financially dependant on the other spouse). In such cases maintenance is generally ordered by the court to be paid on an ‘interim’ or temporary basis until the judicial separation or divorce proceedings are concluded. The level of maintenance which will be awarded on an interim basis will be dependent on the financial circumstances that exist at the time the application is made. However that ‘interim’ maintenance will be reviewed when the case is dealt with at a final hearing, at which time maintenance may be varied depending upon the overall financial settlement agreed by the spouses or ordered by the court.

(G) Co-Habitation

Under current Irish law, only married couples can apply for judicial separation or divorce. As a consequence, only married couples have the benefit of the very extensive financial claims which may be made against each other (for example claims against property and other assets, pension entitlements or succession rights). For couples who are not married but merely co-habit, there are no such automatic rights. However this will change significantly if the Civil Partnership Bill, 2009, is enacted.

(H) Foreign Divorce

If an individual has married in the past, whether in Ireland or abroad, and subsequently obtains a divorce outside of Ireland, then they are advised to seek legal advice as to whether or not that divorce is recognised in Ireland. Certain divorces obtained abroad will not be recognised in Ireland, in which case that individual would not be free to remarry in Ireland even if the divorce is recognised in other countries and the person would be free to remarry in those countries. However, even if one spouse has obtained a foreign divorce which is recognised in Ireland, it may be possible for the other spouse to make a claim for financial provision against the spouse who obtained the divorce, if it can be shown that sufficient financial provision was not made in the original foreign divorce proceedings.

(G) What are the Financial Reliefs Available?

On divorce or judicial separation the court has the power to make a number of orders which allows the court to make financial provision for the respective parties and any dependant children. The court has wide powers to adjust the financial position of both parties in order to ensure that there is proper financial provision in place for both the husband and the wife and any dependant children. While, in many cases, this might necessitate the sale of the family home so that both spouses can re-house post separation and a division of the proceeds of sale, in other cases, it can give rise to significant transfer of wealth from one spouse to another. Some of the Orders available to the court in this respect are as follows:

  • A Property Adjustment Order: directing a spouse to transfer a property(s) to the other spouse and/or dependant children. This may often involve the transfer of the family home to the dependant spouse.
  • Family Home: the court can give one spouse the right to reside in the family home to the exclusion of the other.
  • A Periodical Payments Order (Maintenance Order): There is a legal obligation on both spouses to maintain each other, although this obligation often tends to become focused on the spouse with the higher earning capacity. A Maintenance Order requires a spouse to pay a certain amount per week or per month in respect of the other spouse and/or any dependant children. Children are considered to be dependant until they reach 23 years of age or finish in fulltime education, whichever is the earlier. In addition the payment is sometimes secured against a fund or a property which can be drawn upon or sold if there is default in payment. 
    The level of maintenance depends on the circumstances of both the husband and wife and the court takes into account the spouse's reasonable needs and those of the children, and the true income of both parties.
  • A Lump Sum Order: this requires a spouse to pay a lump sum(s) to the other spouse in respect of that spouse and any dependant children. In some cases the court can order a spouse to make a lump sum payment either in addition to or in substitution for periodical maintenance. The quantum of the lump sum will depend on the circumstances of the case and the wealth of the spouses.
  • A Pension Adjustment Order: the court has the power to divide pension entitlements and can order a spouse to transfer all or part of a pension to the other spouse. The order can cover not only a pension paid after retirement but also a benefit payable in the event of death prior to retirement.
  • A Financial Compensation Order: this requires a spouse to put in place or to maintain in place an insurance policy in favour of the other spouse. This can sometimes be used to ensure that a spouse and/or children are properly provided for in the event of the death of the other spouse where the proceeds of a life policy will substitute for maintenance.
  • A Custody or Access Order: The court can direct which parent is to have custody of the children and what arrangements are to be in place in regard to access to them.
  • An Order with regard to Succession Rights: Following judicial separation or divorce, the court can order the renunciation and extinguishment of Succession Act rights. Following divorce, the right of a spouse to an automatic share in the estate of the other is ended but the court can direct whether a spouse can seek provision out of such estate.
  • Reviewable Dispositions: preventing the disposal of assets by either party or the waiver of rights.

56 comment(s)

  1. books everyone should read on Aug 10 2020 07:49
    Separation mode for the goodness is filed for the approach of the turns. The skill of the books everyone should read are filled intrepid of the hidden element for humans. The spot is billed for the voiced items for humans.
  2. Lisa Jordone on Sep 22 2020 12:33
    I am glad to read this info
  3. on Sep 22 2020 12:35
    Any country or society that necessities to execute pulverization should give free getting ready to the total of its occupants. Bearing is the central key that can open up the staggering passages of the future and as requirements, be can get a tumult the cash related condition of nation.
  4. instagram story viewer on Oct 24 2020 01:56
    I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also
  5. Nicolas Krafft news on Dec 27 2020 12:06
    Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts.
  6. Project Management Assignment on Dec 27 2020 12:54
    Any nation or society that necessities to execute pounding should give free preparation to the completion of its inhabitants. Division mode for the decency is petitioned for the methodology of the turns.
  7. Write My Dissertation on Dec 27 2020 12:56
    The court has the ability to partition benefits qualifications and can arrange a companion to move all or part of an annuity to the next life partner. The degree of support relies upon the conditions of both the couple and the court considers the companion's sensible necessities.
  8. Animation Video Services on Dec 27 2020 12:58
    Those Orders are typically conceded on an "interval" or transitory premise, while the legal detachment or separation procedures are progressing. At the finish of the procedures, the court would then choose if progressing last requests are required.
  9. Maharashtra std 10th Model Paper 2021 on Jan 06 2021 06:07
    we will discuss in brief about Maharashtra Board SSC Question Paper as well Maha Board 2019-20 Exam. And try to solve your question arise into mind. I hope all aspirants will like Maha SSC Question Papers discussion. Because the board will begin class 10th exam soon as per timetable. Then it is a necessary step to take subject wise Maharashtra SSC Question Paper 2021 pdf in advance to revise your entire syllabus once again peacefully. We want to inform that sample papers usually hosted on board official website. No Further web portal which will provide important question prepared by board faculty. Hence, touch with our site and get the authentic information.
  10. on Jan 14 2021 05:57
    Signnow is an essential software in this day and age. Learn more about it at now, and you should get this esignature solution asap.
  11. on Jan 19 2021 07:49
    Can anyone explain to me how does work? I wanted to know how does it work as I am thinking of making my own website for such a cause and services.
  12. devry login on Jan 28 2021 08:35
    DeVry University students can login to the DeVry Portal at What can you do with the DeVry Student Portal 2021. Devry student portal is an educational training organization, which was set up in 1931 by Herman A. The devry university student portal is a revenue-driven college.
  13. sa gaming on Jan 30 2021 11:24
    I was very impressed by this post, this site has always been pleasant news Thank you very much for such an interesting post, and I meet them more often then I visited this site.
  14. legit on Feb 03 2021 07:55
    Really impressed! Everything is very open and very clear clarification of issues. It contains truly facts. Your website is very valuable. Thanks for sharing. It's late finding this act. At least, it's a thing to be familiar with that there are such events exist. I agree with your Blog and I will be back to inspect it more in the future so please keep up your act.
  15. on Feb 08 2021 19:25
    I wish more writers of this sort of substance would take the time you did to explore and compose so well. I am exceptionally awed with your vision and knowledge.
  16. on Feb 09 2021 05:30
    I have read your article, it is very informative and helpful for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it..
  17. on Feb 09 2021 05:35
    Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates.
  18. on Feb 09 2021 05:39
    Thanks for the informative and helpful post, obviously in your blog everything is good..
  19. on Feb 09 2021 05:43
    I read a article under the same title some time ago, but this articles quality is much, much better. How you do this..
  20. on Feb 09 2021 05:59
    Glad to chat your blog, I seem to be forward to more reliable articles and I think we all wish to thank so many good articles, blog to share with us.
  21. on Feb 09 2021 06:02
    A good blog always comes-up with new and exciting information and while reading I have feel that this blog is really have all those quality that qualify a blog to be a one
  22. on Feb 09 2021 06:05
    New site is solid. A debt of gratitude is in order for the colossal exertion.
  23. on Feb 09 2021 06:08
    I am always searching online for articles that can help me. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job !
  24. on Feb 09 2021 06:10
    Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work.
  25. on Feb 09 2021 06:13
    Thank you so much for ding the impressive job here, everyone will surely like your post.
  26. on Feb 09 2021 06:16
    This is a splendid website! I"m extremely content with the remarks!.
  27. on Feb 09 2021 06:20
    I have read your article, it is very informative and helpful for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it..
  28. on Feb 09 2021 06:22
    Thanks for such a great post and the review, I am totally impressed! Keep stuff like this coming.
  29. on Feb 09 2021 06:25
    Well, this got me thinking what other workouts are good for those of us who find ourselves on the road or have limited equipment options.
  30. on Feb 09 2021 06:28
    Glad to chat your blog, I seem to be forward to more reliable articles and I think we all wish to thank so many good articles, blog to share with us.
  31. on Feb 09 2021 06:30
    A good blog always comes-up with new and exciting information and while reading I have feel that this blog is really have all those quality that qualify a blog to be a one
  32. on Feb 09 2021 06:33
    New site is solid. A debt of gratitude is in order for the colossal exertion.
  33. on Feb 09 2021 06:36
    Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work.
  34. on Feb 09 2021 06:39
    I am always searching online for articles that can help me. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job !
  35. air-conditioning-solutions on Feb 13 2021 14:07
    Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work.
  36. LED Grab bars on Feb 13 2021 20:58
    I appreciated your work very thanks
  37. on Feb 15 2021 19:28
    Thank you for the update, very nice site..
  38. best and cheapest essay writing service on Feb 20 2021 12:56
    Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.
  39. best yeezy 350 V2 replica on Feb 21 2021 01:29
    Keep this in mind: Adidas, Nike and all these companies are big, multi-national businesses which have to enforce standards of employment.
  40. herbal incense shop on Feb 22 2021 09:51
    There a few interesting points in time here but I do not determine if these people center to heart. There may be some validity but I’m going to take hold opinion until I explore it further. Great post , thanks and now we want a lot more! Included with FeedBurner likewise
  41. 청주출장안마 on Feb 22 2021 09:52
    An interesting dialogue is value comment. I believe that it is best to write more on this matter, it may not be a taboo subject but typically persons are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers
  42. web hosting unlimited on Mar 03 2021 13:01
    I have bookmarked your blog, the articles are way better than other similar blogs.. thanks for a great blog!
  43. Seo Services on Mar 10 2021 10:01
    I was very impressed by this post, this site has always been pleasant news Thank you very much for such an interesting post, and I meet them more often then I visited this site.
  44. 사천출장마사지 on Mar 11 2021 11:18
    Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything such as this before. So nice to get somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. realy we appreciate you starting this up. this fabulous website are some things that is required on the internet, somebody with a little originality. beneficial work for bringing a new challenge on the world wide web!
  45. Liquid herbal incense on Mar 11 2021 11:22
    I do accept as true with all of the concepts you have presented in your post. They are very convincing and can definitely work. Still, the posts are very short for newbies. Could you please extend them a bit from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.
  46. see this website on Mar 14 2021 09:03
    At Junk Cars for Cash our #1 priority is to treat our customers with honesty and respect, all while offering the most competitive price for your vehicle in Minnesota. Since we buy a huge volume of junk cars in Minneapolis everyday, we not only buy cars for cash in Minneapolis, but we offer the highest quoted prices in the state of Minnesota, and we back that up with a price match guarantee.
  47. techpower on Mar 18 2021 17:49
    Betting is a game of luck and chance, but you could stand a better chance of the odds favoring you if you could exhibit due diligence and be careful enough to place a bet after considering every inherent possibility. <a href=""></a>
  48. msp India corporation on Mar 22 2021 19:02
    I’ve been searching for some decent stuff on the subject and haven't had any luck up until this point, You just got a new biggest fan!..
  49. dynamic health staff on Mar 23 2021 13:37
    This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is very nice one and gives indepth information. Thanks for this nice article.
  50. Ellak on Apr 01 2021 15:06
    Cricket betting apps are great for betting because they are easy to operate and are very user-friendly. The apps have been specifically designed to make cricket betting more convenient. <a href=""></a>
  51. THC vape juice on Apr 10 2021 07:30
    Substantially, the post is really the sweetest on this precious topic. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your coming updates. Simply saying thanks definitely will not simply just be sufficient, for the amazing lucidity in your writing. I will at once grab your rss feed to stay abreast of any kind of updates. Genuine work and also much success in your business efforts!
  52. alamat situs dewasa pada android tanpa aplikasi on Apr 10 2021 07:39
    This would be the appropriate blog if you really wants to discover this topic. You are aware of a great deal of its nearly difficult to argue on hand (not too I really would want…HaHa). You certainly put a whole new spin using a topic thats been discussing for decades. Wonderful stuff, just fantastic!
  53. Jan Jaramillo on Apr 11 2021 08:42
    This is also a very good post which I really enjoyed reading. It is not every day that I have the possibility to see something like this Please read it and share a comment. Enjoy my Profile Webcam Test .
  54. Fake Nike SB Dunk Low for Sale on Apr 16 2021 07:49
    Then, if we look at the stitching all around the curvy patch which has the “NIKE” text, you can see how the fake shoes have their stitches looking too thin and too long on the fake pair.
  55. webself on Apr 17 2021 10:59
    Cricket betting india only provides the most up-to-date information on online betting in India, online cricket betting, and other related topics. Get the most up-to-date information on today's headlines, as well as cricket betting tips.
  56. cheap Yeezy 500 Enflame replica on Apr 20 2021 08:41
    Counterfeit products—sometimes called “knockoffs”—are purposely manufactured and sold as an imitation of a brand-name product. These fakes usually fall into one of the following categories:
Leave a comment


Monthly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up to date with our latest news and articles